January 9

Why am I so lazy this year?

Why is it that I am so lazy this year? I have been building my personal learning network for the past couple of years. Working on integrating technology into my classroom. Working on having a more passion based learning style in my class. Working on Masters courses. Working on new curriculum and teaching new classes. Wow, that is a bunch of working! But now, this year, I am feeling tired. I find it hard just to get all the work done I need to get done to teach my classes. Doing extra learning outside of the classroom is to tiring to think about. Now that I was actually starting to make headway, begin to perceive the seismic shift that is coming in education, I am loosing my motivation to prepare myself and others for it. Why?

Maybe I am just burnt out. After years of struggling with administrations that were not (in my opinion) student centered, focused on improving student achievement, and/or looking at ways that technology is going to change education, I am tired. Now that my school district has chosen not to participate in the second year of PLP, and our technology commitee has let things slide at the school, I don’t  have the drive to push forward.

I wrote a blog last year about the revolution in education. In that article I mentioned that I am an old revolutionary from way back. I have been trying to change the world since I was 14 years old. There is little to show for it. The world is way different now than then, so maybe there are things to show for it, but the progress is incremental and it is tiring.

Maybe I just need some time to refresh and regenerate before I get back at it. If you have any words of wisdom or encouragement I would love to hear them.

Posted January 9, 2012 by mrdale in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I am a teacher and Team leader in cetral Alberta. I am interested in educational technology and how social networking can, and is going to change education.