October 2

It Has Been A While

Well, I haven’t blogged since 2012. In the past 9 years I have moved between schools and grades. Built strong teams and friendships, suffered loss and hardship. Through it all I have tried to maintain a focus on my students. Recently that has become harder.

The United Conservative Party (UCP) came to power on April 16/2019. Since then, the government has tried to systematically destroy an education system that was ranked in the top 10 in the world.  They have been spreading misinformation and gaslighting the public about the “failures” of the education system and how “political” the current curriculum is. What they fail to mention is that it was the Progressive Conservative government that brought the current curriculum in back in 1991!

I do not deny that the Alberta Curriculum needs to change to reflect the world we live in now and to prepare our children for a future we don’t have a clear vision of. What I disagree with is that the proposed curriculum will do neither of these things! It is like the creators of this proposed curriculum never left the 1950s! Also, they have no ability to scope and sequence knowledge appropriate to the age of the students! To add the cherry on top of the shit sundae, the proposed curriculum focuses almost exclusively on knowledge, ignoring skills (almost) completely! Now I know that knowledge is important, but in a world where we have access to more knowledge than anyone in history, wouldn’t it be better to teach the skills of how to find information that is reliable and accurate? In a world where people are changing jobs and careers rapidly, wouldn’t it be better to learn about how to learn new things quickly and thoroughly? Even if you are going to train people in the trades you have to teach them the skills of working with the tools and the people around them! These are the things that the new curriculum should be focused on! Memorizing old European history is not going to be helpful in the workplace. I don’t see a lot of employers demanding knowledge of Charlemagne as a necessary part of their employees skill set!

I guess what I am trying to say is, please get involved in your child’s education. Demand the government involve all stakeholders in the curriculum design process. That includes experts in curriculum design, teachers, professors of education, students, and parents! Join up with organizations like SOS Alberta. Write to your MLA, the Minister of Education, and the Premier. Let them know that what is happening with education is unacceptable! These are the people who have allowed the COVID 19 situation to explode in our collective faces by declaring the pandemic over and the province open for ever for the “best summer ever!” If their handling of the public health system has you worried, why would you think they will do any better with the education system.

Please, stand up and support the students, parents, and educators in our province. Tell the government that their handling of this file is unacceptable and they need to start over!

Posted October 2, 2021 by mrdale in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I am a teacher and Team leader in cetral Alberta. I am interested in educational technology and how social networking can, and is going to change education.